Friday, January 19, 2007

A cab driver story. No. Not THAT one.

So, I had to take a cab from O'Hare Airport to my mom's house to pick up my dog and my car. It's snowing like a son of bitch, and it's midnight. The cab driver line was fairly short which was good, because I was wearing a really light jacket and I was freezing. I get in the cab, and the cab driver is jokey and nice and not too chatty, and was polite enough to turn down the music when I got a cell phone call. We ended up having a nice chat a little later about whatever. I don't remember anymore.

All of a sudden, about 2 miles from my house, the cab gets pulled over for speeding. He couldn't have been going more than 7 miles over the speed limit. Obviously the suburban cops felt like being dicks. Anyway, I'm slightly annoyed because as I said, it's midnight. And now the cops are dicking around with this cab driver.

Well, turns out the cab driver is driving on a suspended license and GETS ARRESTED. All while I'm sitting in the back seat of the cab. And all of a sudden I hear one of the police officers say "Well, I guess your fare is going to have to find a new ride home." And that's it. Excuse me? The police officers are going to just leave a young(ish) woman with luggage on the side of the road in the middle of a snowstorm at midnight?

I am enraged. I can't believe that the cops are going to so blatantly ignore my safety in favor of busting a cab driver for a suspended license. Don't get me wrong. I could give a rats ass about the cab driver. A. He shouldn't have been driving on a suspended license, and B. There's a huge chapter in "How Grace Spent Her Summer" focusing on my hatred and fear of cab drivers. Ok, hatred is a little strong. Intense dislike and distrust. Anyway. I can't believe the cops are acting so nonchalant about me. A totally innocent passenger.

So, in a little bit of a huff, I open the back door of the cab, load my luggage over my shoulders and start walking without saying a word or even looking at the cops.

"Hey, hey! Where ya going, Miss?" Miss? Well, it's better than honey, I suppose.

I turn around and say "I'm walking home." I have no intention of walking home, but they didn't have to know that. A calculated risk, I know. There was the chance they could have just let me.

"You don't want to call another cab?"

"No, I don't. It's midnight in a snowstorm in the suburbs on a weekday. Seems like it might take a long time. Don't worry about it. Clearly the cab driver is much more important than the safety of his passenger."

"Listen ma'am (ma'am?), we're just doing our jobs. No need to be snotty." Snotty? Oh no he didn't.

"I don't have time to argue about this with you. I have to work tomorrow. (I didn't say at the State's Attorney's Office but I almost did.) If you were REALLY doing your job, you would offer me a ride home. It's only a couple of miles on Blah St. and Blah St. and I highly doubt that a suspended license arrest takes 3 squad cars and 5 officers."

"We aren't a cab service ma'am" ma'am? REALLY? Douchebag.

I started walking again. I hear one of the officers yell out "Hey boss, can I take the passenger home? She's on Blah St. & Blah St."

Boss responds with "no problem." Duhhh...

So the officer tosses my luggage in the trunk of the car on top of the heavy artillery (I think), and put me in the back seat of the squad car and took me home. He was actually quite nice. My mom must have loved having her neighbors see her daughter being dropped off by a police car. Very cool. Fortunately it was late.

The good news is, I didn't have to pay the cab fare.

1 comment:

allbilly said...

probably Todd Stroger sent them to harass you.