Monday, July 23, 2007

Dear Everyone Taking the Bar,

I want to wish everyone who is reading this good luck. We've all (mostly) worked really hard to get here, and we'll all (mostly) be fine.

Personally, I'm scared. I'm really scared. I feel like everyone around me knows more than me. But then they turn around and say that they are feeling the exact same way.

I've made a decision on how I'm choosing to think about these next few days, though. I've heard from lots of people, that these are going to be the two worst days of my life. Without having actually taken the bar, I can't be sure, but I'm going to go ahead and respectfully disagree. I think I've had worse. I've also heard that this is the hardest thing I'm ever going to have to do. Again, without having taken the bar, I am going to disagree.

There is no way this can be true. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but my parents are both alive. One day, they won't be. Dealing with that is going to be way harder than the bar exam. I've had to sit across the table from my fiance and tell him I didn't want to marry him. That was pretty tough. I'd rather take the bar than do that again. I've had to listen to someone I was in love with tell me they no longer loved me back. I'd rather take the bar 10 times than do that again. There was this guy. Bar exam wins. I've been the victim of a pretty bad crime. Sorry, but the bar exam MUST be better than that.

Don't get me wrong, the bar exam is going to SUCK. and I am going to give it the respect it deserves. However, it deserves no more respect than any other loss, grief, fear, anger,panic or heartbreak that I, or any of us, have ever already experienced. And survived. For my own sanity, this is the way I'm thinking about it. The bar exam is just another fucking hurdle. No biggie. And Wednesday, it will all be over.

So now, I'm going to quit rambling. I'm going to go do a few more hours of studying, then I'm going to pack a bag and head downtown. I'm going to meet Ms. Kori Amsterdam, we're going to check into a hotel, check out our test sites, and then go eat a nice dinner. Then we're going back to the hotel, going to watch some Will & Grace, and go to bed.

Then tomorrow morning, I'm going to go over to my testing site, and give the Illinois Bar Exam the hate fuck it so rightfully has earned.

Once again good luck to everyone. See you on the other side.

Sincerely,

Grace

6 comments:

last call at the bar said...

When you are sufficiently schnookered on Thursday at noon you can think about us poor idiots in CA and laugh your ass off.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

thanks. that made my day. good luck. and for what it's worth, I don't really understand interpleader either, but I think it's when a guy owns something and a whole bunch of people have claims to it, right? NY bar, here I come!

Harmless Error said...

This made my day too and I'm not even taking the bar. Way to keep things in perspective.

Now go kick some ass.

Anonymous said...

Very well said Grace. Hate Fuck the shit out of this minor hurdle in the big scheme of things and you will certainly prevail. I raise my glass to you.

Anonymous said...

http://texasbarbrief.blogspot.com/

Britty said...

I've taken a few bar exams, the first in Ohio more than 20 years ago (no doubt when you were just a tot), the most recent this week right here in the Land of Lincoln. The bar exam is hardly the worst two days a person will have in life. Having lost both my parents, I was unexpectedly moved by your comment that both of yours are still with you. There is so much more in life of meaing and significance than this crazy licensing drill. You can look forward to a sweet amnesia about the whole experience -- the only thing I remember about the Ohio test is taking it in Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Columbus-- a huge cavernous space just chock-a-block with anxiety--and getting a really easy agency question. That's it.

Now that you are on the other side, I wish you all the best. There's lots of summer left to enjoy!