Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sometimes I Just Need a Man to Toss My Salad

And Alejandro is just that man.

I'm cheating on my salad bar. With Alejandro.

I love my salad bar, because I love the idea of getting exactly what I want. And that's what a salad bar is all about. Choices. Well, you know sometimes I don't want to make choices. I want them made for me.

So today, I walked into my salad bar. I picked up my plastic to go container. I walked over to the selection of toppings. And froze. It was all just too much. I felt overwhelmed. Too many choices. I couldn't do it. So I walked out.

I walked around the block looking for something to eat. Nothing seemed to grab my attention. Corner Bakery sucks. Au Bon Pain sucks more. Panera sucks the most. (Sorry Lilly).

Inexplicably, I wandered into a restaurant I never noticed before. I never caught the name of it, but I'm sure I'll know it soon enough.

I walked to the back of the restaurant and read the sign "Create your own salad! 3 toppings w/ a protein- $5.99!"

Alejandro's eyes met mine. "What do you want?" he said. I pointed to the sign.

"Ok," he said evenly. "Mixed greens or romaine?"

I shrug. It's not that I am indifferent. I just don't know what I want. He doesn't wait long for an answer.

"OK, then. You get romaine." I smiled gratefully. He knew. He's seen it before. And he was prepared.

"It's not a BBQ chicken day, is it? Grilled chicken, right?"

I nodded again. I might have gotten a little teary. Alejandro knew me. He GOT me.

"OK, Lady. Now you pick three toppings. Wait... let's just do one at a time. Can you pick one topping?"

"Mushrooms," I said.

Alejandro smiled. "Nice. Very nice. Mushrooms are good. Can you pick another one?"

Feeling more confident, I burst out with "cucumbers!!"

"Oh, yeah, honey. Cucumbers are so good. Good girl. Now one more."

I was spent. "I don't know," I confessed.

Alejandro knew. Fuck yeah, he knew. "OK, then I give you broccoli." I could have kissed him.

I was done. I'd made it to the other side. Almost. Alejandro needed more from me.

"What dressing do you want?"

We stood there staring into each other's eyes, challenging each other, each waiting for the other to answer first.

Finally, I couldn't handle it anymore and blurted out "FAT FREE RANCH!"

He exhaled, and gently shook his head, like I had been a very bad girl.

"You're getting ginger-soy, Lady."

I blushed and nodded my head. Ginger soy it was.

And as Alejandro fervently drizzled the ginger soy all over my salad, I knew it would be a lunch I wouldn't soon forget.

Gracias, Alejandro.

12 comments:

Jane Know said...

Just when I thought you were never going to blog again... you "grace" us with another wonderful salad-tossing story.

phew.

this alejandro sounds like quite a catch.

Grace said...

Aww... thanks Jane!

(Alejandro's MINE, though)

Jane Know said...

ohhh, hail to the no...that man is mine!!

i'll take those broccolis he lovingly placed in your salad and, and...

i mean, okay. you can have him.

Fannie said...

What working woman doesn't need a friendly man to toss her salad during her lunch break?

eddie said...

I've always had an issue with salad bars - we Brits can take things quite literally at times, and I must admit to feeling duped many years ago by the lack of alcohol on my first ever visit to one.

And they've never quite managed to win my heart back since that fateful day. *sigh*

...and welcome back, Grace :)

Daisy Duke said...

Can we go visit Alejandro tomorrow?? Tell me where he is!

PT-LawMom said...

Ooh baby!!

VCUgirl said...

I'm glad there's another paradox of a woman out there- who's independent and all that, but then just loves getting decisions made for her.
Good to know I'm not just lazy!

Anonymous said...

Grace:

I will fervently drizzle ... ginger soy all over your .... salad. Yeah, that's the ticket ... salad!

Con amor,

Alenandro

Harmless Error said...

Um, I think I need a man to "toss my salad" more than you do. But I won't judge because I love you:)

biff said...

This is kind of gross.

Carousing Curmudgeon from Cork said...

I love this! What restaurant was it?