Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Stolen Lines #2

"Ghosts definitely live here," I say.

I take one last drunken drag off of a Marlboro light and put it out. I lean back against the wall, and survey the empty living room. Then I survey her. Sweaty and luminous. She absentmindedly plays with my long thin fingers with her own long, thin fingers. To describe us you'd think we were identical: Long thin fingers, long thin arms and legs, long thin blonde hair, pale, often dressed in black. Even our names are similar enough that people often confuse us. I don't think it ever bothers her and I know it never bothers me.

She pours some wine from the keg (yes, we have a keg of wine) into a plastic cup. All of our dishes have been packed. Rookies that we were at the time, we had already packed our stemware.

I am going to miss her.

She puts her head on my lap. I play with her hair.

"Remember when that dude came over and set our couch on fire?" she asks.

"Do you remember how hard we all laughed?"

"I do."

We were both quiet for a while.

"It actually wasn't all that funny, was it?" she asks.

"Nope."

I lean over and kiss her impossibly soft cheek.

We stay there, on the floor for a while. Completely still. It's much too hot to do much else, anyway.

Quiet.

"Remember when those guys broke in, and stole everything in the living room while we were right there asleep on the couch?"

"Oh my god yes! And they accidentally left their sleeping bags, and that 6 pack of Rolling Rock?"

We both laugh. Hard.

"Fucking hippies."

Quiet. Again. She draws imaginary circles on my leg. I close my eyes.

"Do you know," she says, "that I hated you when we first met?"

"That's funny," I reply. "when we first met, I loved you with every fiber of my being... Do you think the ghosts will miss us?"

She sits up, and kisses me softly on the lips. "Naa. I think they're coming with us for a while."

*I stole the first line of this post from You'll Never Eat Lunch in This town Again, by Julia Phillips as part of the Stolen Lines Blog Experiment.

Update: Stolen Lines by:
The lovely Harmless Error
My very best, The Shire Smarty
Kelli
Daisy
Brand new blogger, Hope
The Artful Blogger
Brita
Obsquatch
Stacy
Melissa
Year Zero
Butterflyfish
Fianna
Kristine

13 comments:

virgo1sign said...

why do you always make me cry?

Grace said...

oh, I make you laugh, too, Virgo... admit it.

Melanie said...

It's so weird because I don't even know you, but I want to lie in your lap and play with your fingers!

You could be a middle-aged man for all I know.

Hope said...

http://hopefuldiscontent.blogspot.com/

Happy?

-vcugirl

The Artful Blogger said...

OK-Mine is up now:

http://artfullyblogging.blogspot.com/2009/02/stolen-lines-2.html

BTW, your post was lovely,Grace.

And Melanie? Grace is most definitely not a middle aged man!

Hope said...

posted. :)

virgo1sign said...

yep, you make me laugh, too. 'cause you're crispy. In facte, we're both crispy chicks. where do I buy a time machine? I'd go back in a minute.

Daisy Duke said...

Mine is up...complete with a photo of the house with ghosts.

Yours was lovely Grace. Just lovely.

Jane Know said...

Love it. You're so smart, Grace.
Thinking of you.

Kelli said...

Finally got around to it. I knew what I wanted to write. I didn't want to do it. But I had to. Maybe exorcising some of those ghosts? It didn't work. I still miss her.

Kelli said...

http://lyricwiki.org/Howie_Day:Ghost

Sam Sachs said...

I loved this one. Then again, I have yet to come across a post of yours I don't love. That is all.

Blogger said...

Are you paying over $5 per pack of cigarettes? I'm buying all my cigarettes over at Duty Free Depot and I save over 60% from cigarettes.