Friday, March 20, 2009

A Holiday I don't Hate

So, if you've been reading my blog for a while, or you know me personally, you know I fucking hate the holidays. Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, Valentines Day, St. Paddy's, Mardi Gras, my birthday, Halloween... whatever. I hate them all. they make me sad.

Tonight, I found myself waiting to stay awake until midnight. Like many do for New Years, or their birthday, or Santa Claus...and when midnight hit, I cried with happiness and relief.

Today I realized that today is MY holiday. I am TOTALLY and with absolutely no cynicism whatsoever, going to celebrate today. The first day of Spring. And I am going to do it every year from here on out. I WISH I had known beforehand. I would have planned a party. I would have requested the day off.

Winter can go fuck itself. Happy First Day of Spring, everyone!

I am going to come up with themes and mascots and special foods and stuff for this new holiday.

And I shall drink a First-Day-Of-Springtini.

I am taking suggestions on what that drink is made of.

11 comments:

Daisy Duke said...

2 oz of the laughter of small children

1 oz spring rain

1 oz of daisy petals

garnish of sunshine


(Or vodka, cranberry juice, a splash of seven up and a generous squeeze of lime)

Grace said...

I think it's definitely vodka. Maybe with cran and orange and topped off with champagne. Like a flirtini!

Alleged Lady said...

Springtini:

2 parts vodka

1 part peach schnapps

1 part sprite

garnish with lime
---

And, fuck stupid winter. Spring is definitely a new page for a lot of us...thank god!

five tomatoes said...

Awesome holiday! I found a springtini recipe online:

Ingredients:
1Part(s)Orange Vodka
1Part(s)Coconut Rum
2Part(s)Cranberry Juice

Instructions:
Place 1 oz Orange Vodka, 1 oz Coconut Rum , 2 oz Cranberry Juice and crushed ice in a Martini Shaker.. Shake it up along with your money maker. Pour into a chilled Martini Glass. Watch the snow melt.

I think a springtini can be any drink that will put a spring in your step.

julybirthday said...

Don't forget to add gifts into the equation somehow...

Elaine said...

I think Spring Bacchanal is perfectly acceptable as a major holiday and a great excuse to drink and take a day off.

Overflowing Brain said...

Did Daisy mix a drink with small children in it? Because that's not legal where I come from.

I say substitute the Springtini with a Bay Breeze. Cranberry, Pineapple and Rum. With a cherry.

After match day yesterday, I'm not drinking againg for...ever.

virgo1sign said...

I am finished with stolen lines. But yours is better.
Love
Magic Vag

rem said...

All good ideas, but this former bartender suggests that grapefruit be in there somewhere. it's a very UP-BEAT and spring-like flavor.

anonymoushottie said...

I was just informed that there exists a sweet tea flavored vodka. So get some of that, some lemonade, and a splash of club soda, and you have yourself a fizzy John Daly (the drunk version of an Arnold Palmer, natch). This is the bestest spring drink ever. And get some of those plastic monkeys to put on the rim of the glass - just because.

newduck said...

Not that it would work drink-wise, but if I had to name the two ingredients that symbolize spring to me it would be tequila and tonic.