Wednesday, February 03, 2010

A Contest.

Wow, I am doing a super job of keeping up with this blog, huh? To be fair, I've been pretty busy, with work, buying a new place and coming to terms with the fact that this summer I am going to be in charge of keeping a little one happy, healthy and out of the the Illinois Department of Corrections.

I spent last weekend in New York, going to see some fantastic theatre and eating some ridiculously good food. Some major things happened that I shall reveal on a later date. I want to sort of space it all out, but there's one big one that I can reveal now.

We're having a boy!! It's so fucking exciting!

Any and all name suggestions are welcome! In fact, I am considering a contest. The thing is, all the names my beloved suggests, only belong on 80 year old men, 50 YEARS AGO!

However, if you ask my beloved about the names I suggest, he'd tell you that they are either too ethnic, too religious, or too boring. (Ben is not boring!!!)

Anyway, feel free to throw your non-old man, non-ethnic, non-religious, non-boring and non-douchey names our way. If we choose yours, I PROMISE I will figure out a really good prize.

-----------

On a totally non related subject, something weird happens when I don't blog for a while. People leave REALLY stupid comments from really old posts. I don't know why this happens, or if it's even related, but it really seems like it is. I'll give you an example.

I wrote a post about how white, male criminal defense attorneys over the age of fifty generally act like assholes to young female prosecutors. Here it is if you want to read it.

Anyway, some idiot, J. Sutton says:
"It's ironic that you have the audacity to publish a blog like this and criticize experienced lawyers regarding their lack of professionalism. If your fortunate enough to still be practicing law when your in your 50's (which is doubtful) I'll lay odds that you will be pining for a little of the attention you abhor so vehemently now."
Really, J Sutton? You think when I'm 50, I am going to enjoy being interrupted, lied to, and touched, and generally demeaned in a courtroom? Ok.

Anyway, these little comments keep popping up on weird old posts. Who the fuck has the time to go through my archives anymore anyway?
------------------

Lastly, am I the only person who watches High School Reunion on TVLand? Really, everyone.. It needs to be watched.

--------

Stay tuned for my next upcoming blog post, "HOW THE FUCK DO YOU RAISE A BABY BOY?"

24 comments:

December 3rd said...

Congrats on the baby boy!

I think some comment posters believe the older the post, the less likely you'll find the assholey comment. But if you have comment moderation or email notifications... yeah.

Going to read the post now, as I used to be a young female prosecutor.

j'lynn said...

Congratulations!!!! :)

I have a baby boy (he'll be 8 this summer). Um...good luck! Sad that that is my advice, isn't it?! LOL Sorry!

As for boy names here are my suggestions:
Jackson
Mitchell
Zachary
James
Matthew
Kyle
Hunter

I could so go on, but I'll let others contribute too! LMAO

Daisy JD said...

Ezra

Jack

Connor

Henry

Andrew

Owen


I've already passed on all my "baby boy congratulations" but again, yay! (Also- must discuss your baby shower soon.)

Patty Purviss said...

My favorite old man, I mean little boy name, is Walter.

Much happiness!

Shantelle Argyle said...

If we'd had a boy, (we're only planning to have one) we were going to name him Bailey. As in George Bailey from It's a Wonderful Life. Cause it is, dammit! I know it's been popular as a girl's name lately, but it was originally a boy's name.

Also, I have been admitted to 3 law schools so far! YAY! And started my own blawg, which will hopefully get more interesting soon. http://fallingoffablawg.blogspot.com

The Namby Pamby said...

Lampshade

Id.

Antonin

Olbermann-Reillybeck

Sheefurbreens

Fianna said...

Brandon is the closest my husband and I can come to agreeing on a name.

I prefer boring standard male names. I review resumes for our firm, so I always feel bad for the guys that have bad names! Because judgment? It is passed.

John
Michael
Brendan

Yea, that's about all I want to name my fetus right now. You are so lucky you are having a boy! A girl? Holy cow where do you even start...

(And I do like Ben).

Colby said...

I like Ben, too. It has a nice simplicity to it. I'm a fan of Cameron as well. I'm happy for you!

rem said...

Am I disqualified?

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine just had a baby on Tuesday (Groundhog Day...yeah, go ahead with the Bill Murray jokes...I did). She named her son Alexander. He could be Alex for short.

The second runner-up name was Maximus, or Max for short.

For what it's worth, I voted for the second name. I mean, who doesn't want to be named after Russell Crowe's character in Gladiator???

MAX. That's timeless. That's the name of a gladiator. The name of a future multi-billionaire CEO. The name of somebody loyal. :-)

Ninja said...

Hm....that's a hard one (that's what she said). I'd be really curious to hear some more names your dude likes (besides Fritz).
Some old man names aren't too terrible, but you can draw lines at names like Elmer or Earl (no offense to anyone or anyone's relatives as I have relatives with these very names).

Some dude names I like are Jack, Eric, Cash, Evan, & Leo. Kind of a weird assortment.

Tessa Hope Autumn said...

Congrats!!!

I like Elliot. Not old-man-ish. Not in the Bible (as far as I know). There won't be 10 in his kindergarten class. Not boring.

Take care,

Tessa

Karen said...

I like Alex a whole lot, also names like Josh, Jamie and Nick.

Sunflowers said...

My name suggestions:

Vincent

Clive

Alistair

Teagan

I hope I win!! ;)

Googie Baba said...

Gus

Chela said...

Oliver

Landon

Bradley or Brad


Baby boys are fun and simple to please. When they get a little older they like wild rough and tumble activities. Let him figure stuff out and learn to solve problems and you'll have a happy boy.

Good luck and God bless you!

Fannie said...

A) [Intentionally ignoring the gender stereotyping in the above comment for want of keeping the peace at Grace's blog]

B) My naming advice is to just not name it something douchey like:

Chad

Tucker

Cody

Braden


C) Also, thanks J.Sutton for mansplaining how pervy male criminal defense attorneys harassing and patronizing younger female attorneys Is Not Offensive To Women. Glad that's all cleared up.

petrenkov said...

It is very interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Best regards
Timm Clade

Law Daze said...

We gave our girls three names rather than a first and middle. Had friends then from Ireland and was told that was common there ~ set off a rash of three-named kids in our group. It does give you some flexibility to add some old-fashioned with some modern twists.

I now see Micah occasionally as a girl's name, but we considered Micah Joel Samuel if our girl had been a boy. With the girls, we chose a name we liked and added a 'family name' in the middle. That way the baby had Frances in her name (grandma's name) but went by her first name (a much more current name).

Butterflyfish said...

Raising a boy is a hell of a lot easier than raising a girl. I am sure of it. If I am blessed with more children, I want them all to be boys. I love raising my son.

Loves Ben and Max.

Names that I like that are not in the top 100 most popular of 2008 (I am starting at the bottom of the SSN list and scrolling up, so not in order of my preference):

Hugh (998)
Emmett (547)
Jameson (382)
Reid (359)
Keith (314)
Erik (213)
Brendan (207)
Kenneth (136)
Oliver (118)

Others:
Triston/Tristen
Justice (432) -- don't really like it, but, like naming him Gunner, you've ensured he won't go to law school.
Xander (for Alexander)

Cee said...

congrats! on my baby sitting experience and experience raising my boy I say boys are hands down easier! I like older names to and my husband and I always fight over what our next boy will be. We have a Jacob now (which I LOVE) but I want a Henry, Wyatt or Roger next (Roger is my dad's name). Husband wants Benjamin, Lucas, or Ryan. We both kinda like Cole. Hope that's some inspiration.... ?

Anonymous said...

somehow I think with naming it really helps to see the person before you name him/her. I like though that you are asking for names. So often I hear people say "no name suggestions". So here goes:
Tucker
Aaron
Clayton
Gregory (Greg)
Joel
Casey
Trenton
Kyle

Wishing you the best (infiniteknot-twitter)

Paige said...

To me, all babies just look like babies. I don't look at a newborn and think, "Not Colin - Leo!" I just think, "Look, a tiny brand new person who is somehow cute and amazing despite his smooshed up face!"

Beware of Jack unless you want him to be Jack L. (insert appropriate last name initial) for his entire elementary school life. There are jillions of Jacks. Birth certificate is either Jack or Jackson. Either way, it's very 2008-2010 (like Jason and Jeffrey are very 1973-75). Don't get me wrong, I adore males named Jack and Jason and Jeff. But.

Oh, and here's a sleeper-popular name I've noticed around here: Owen. Lots of 'em.

I like:

Angus (Gus)
Callum or Calvin (Cal)
Charles (Charlie)
Theodore (Teddy or Theo)

JD-Maybe said...

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with when you address "How the fuck do you raise a baby boy?" Hilarious!!