Monday, March 18, 2013

Really? 40?

Yep.  I'm 40.  Just happened the other day. 40. Years. Old. 

I sure don't feel 40.  For a lot of reasons. Here are some of them in no particular order. 

I don't feel 40 because I went to law school in my 30's, and a lot of my law school friends are on average 8 years or so younger than me. 

I don't feel 40 because because I just got married 2 years ago.  Wasn't I supposed to do that 10 years ago or so?

I don't feel 40 because I still go commando, like, most of the time. 

I don't feel 40 because I don't look 40. 

I don't feel 40 because all the moms around me at the toddler playgrounds are 30ish. 

I don't feel 40 because I DON'T HAVE MY SHIT TOGETHER AND 40 YEAR OLDS HAVE THEIR SHIT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't feel 40 because I still like ramen noodles.  A lot. 

I don't feel 40 because I swear a lot. 

however...

i feel forty because my back hurts a lot sometimes for no good reason

i feel forty because i worry about dying

i feel forty because i can't day drink anymore

i feel forty because sometimes when i try on clothes i ask myself if it looks like i'm "trying too hard" to look twenty

i feel forty because the most expenisve product i have is anti-wrinkle cream

i feel forty because i don't know who the fuck anyone is in people magazine anymore

My husband asked what I wanted for my birthday this year.  I said a flash mob.  He said no.  He did throw me a very nice surprise party, though, took me to the theatre, and gave me a pretty blue box, containing pretty fancy jewelry. All in all a pretty spectacular weekend. 

I try to get past the whole number thing.  I really do.  And to everyone who says, "It's just a number", well that's true.  It is just a number, but it's a number with weight. 
And meaning.
And presumptions.
And back fat. 

12 comments:

Shirley A.W. said...

Ahaha- holy shit I've missed you...

Butterflyfish said...

sofa king true it hurts, and I'm thirty nine this year. also, my captcha was "yearbac" - what the hell?

Proto Attorney said...

Happy birthday! It's a number I will ignore, just like all the others after 29. Yay, wrinkle cream!

BeeBeeZfa said...

I laughed through 99.9% of this post! Happy birthday.

PT LawMom said...

Happy birthday!

Elena Gottreich said...

Love.

business litigation attorney said...

I just love your humor. It would've been pretty cool if your husband went through with the flash mob. Oh, and cliche as it may be, it's true, life begins at 40 so don't fret and stay happy. ;)

Sam said...

I found this post after I signed in and wrote my own version about 30. How I have missed my Law With Grace! More, please!

authon said...

Happy Birthday
commercial dispute resolution

Anonymous said...

Grosir Online, Grosir Obat Murah, Grosir Kosmetik Online, pusat Grosir Online obat-obatan herbal kosmetik dan alat kecantikan alami. Grosir Online Obat herbal Alami murah Paten ...
DIANTARANYA :

Cream Pemutih Badan Alami Herbal

Obat Pemutih Gigi Alami Herbal

Obat Cream Pemutih Wajah Alami Herbal

Obat Hernia Celana Hernia Alami Herbal

Obat Ambeien Atau Wasir Alami Herbal

Obat Cream Pembesar Pantat Bokong Alami

Pelangsing Badan Fruit Plant

Cream Pelangsing Badan Alami, Perut, Paha, Pinggul

Obat Perapat Untuk Wanita

Obat Rambut Rontok

Alat Pembesar Payudara

Cream Untuk Mengencangkan Payudara

Cara Mengecilkan Payudara

Obat Perontok Bulu Alami, Permanen, Herbal

Obat Memerahkan Bibir

Obat Untuk Selulit

Obat Jerawat Alami Paling Ampuh

Obat Selakangan Hitam

Obat Pemutih Badan

Penghilang Bekas Luka

Obat Untuk Diabetes

Obat Peninggi Badan Alami, Herbal, Terbukti, Super, Cepat

Obat Pelangsing Badan

Obat Mata Plus

Obat Gemuk Badan

Obat Pelangsing Meizitang

Pelangsing Lida

Sailorchronos said...

Who was it that said, 35 is the age where you finally get your head together but your body starts to fall apart? I know where you're coming from. I look 10 years younger than I am and I wonder what the heck happened. All the best.

Patent Solicitor said...

Happy 40! I'd say that you're in the prime of your life!